Thursday 18 July 2013

Rationale


As quoted by a famous photographer,Ansel Adams,“You don't take a photograph, you make it.”. Photography is something really magical to me - capturing a still, perfect moment in time, that would otherwise have passed unnoticed, and preserving it forever. I have always had a passion for photography and I think there is something profoundly beautiful in everything I see. For the final assignment, we had to choose any subject matter that would reflect our photographic knowledge that we gained throughout the semester .I had a pretty tough time deciding on which theme to choose. I initially went for the “Café” theme which was rather difficult to get a proper shot due to various reasons. In the end, I finally settled with the theme of “ Old-time Business”.  These shots were taken at the well known Petaling Street . Petaling Street is a place where the hustling and bustling never comes to an end. Day or night, visitors keep coming to Petaling Street to either dine on the famous street foods  or to get some good bargains on things sold here. There aren't many proper shops selling food here. However there are many little stalls offering all kinds of fare and many locals claim these stalls are where the best street foods can be found. It is sad to hear that many people do not really appreciate how business are conducted in the olden days. The main reason why I decided to choose this theme was basically to capture back the essence of how business were conducted back then as opposed to the modern shopping mall. I tried my best to make sure each photograph complement each other, despite its difference, and making sure nothing is out of place. It was definitely a challenging task to accomplish due to time constraints. Capturing a perfect shot was difficult under the circumstances. It took me several attempts to acquire the correct composition, angle and lighting. I personally feel that the final 5 photographs that I’ve selected convey a message to all which is,”There is beauty in everything you see, whether it be something new or old”. After all, a picture speaks a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment